Yesterday I went out in the morning for a 130 km ride. That’s where the good news stopped. I had, in one single ride:
- A fall (don’t stop to pee in deep gravel).
- 4 hours of cold rain (for which I was woefully unprepared).
- A puncture.
- The shock of my life when I realized my pump was missing its inner seal, rendering it useless.
- Over 20 km of riding on my rim because I just couldn’t wait there for a cab. I was pretty freezing.
- A ride on the Montpellier tramway where I was, like the title says, shaking pretty badly. Luckily there was a real crack addict on board, so I didn’t feel too freakish.
- 45 minutes to wait for my train back home, where I found a vending machine and molested the illuminated advertising on the side to keep warm.
- 5 coffees to get me warm again.
But, I also had the good fortune of getting back right before my bike shop closed and the mechanic assuring me that my rim was still round (how is that possible?). I even could keep the tire I had thought I had ridden to shreds.
Back on the road today with much the same forecast. What, me, worry?